1. First-year theory courses: Music 30A, B, C (entrance requirement: Music Core Curriculum Placement Examination, Students entering Music 30 with minimal keyboard skills should seek additional private keyboard training throughout the theory sequence).
2. Second-year theory courses: Music 130, 150
3. Music history courses: Music 101A,B,C and 105
4. Music 180A, 180B or 180C: Studies in World Musics
5. One from: Music 121, 124, 150, or Music 180
6. Music 105 or 120: Senior Capstone Course
7. At least 6 quarters enrollment in private instrumental or vocal lessons. Note: students should reach at least a lower-intermediate level on their instrument or voice by the Advisory Audition (at the end of Music 30A). Applied faculty (teachers of voice and instruments) are not required to accept a student with less than a lower-intermediate level on the Advisory Audition, even though that student has been accepted into Music 30.
8. It is a requirement of the major that all students must reach an "upper-intermediate" level on the Proficiency Audition (at the end of Music 130).
9. At least 6 quarters enrollment in Music Department ensembles, 3 quarters of which should be in large ensembles (Chamber Singers, Concert Choir, Orchestra, Gamelan, Latin American Ensembles, Large Jazz Ensemble, Wind Ensemble). Students are urged to participate in ensembles every quarter. The sample schedule on p. 6 shows how the requirements can best be fulfilled.
1. Music Core Curriculum Placement Examination for placement in the core course sequence.
2. Advisory Audition before entering Music 30B.
3. Proficiency Audition before entering Music 105/150.
4. Satisfactory Senior Comprehensive Examination.